Menu
Close
IB Diploma

North London Collegiate School is proud of its record as the very top-achieving IB school in the UK, and one of the highest-achieving IB schools in the world.

We were one of the first independent girls' schools to introduce the International Baccalaureate Diploma as an alternative to A-levels, and we have offered the Diploma programme as part of our sixth form curriculum since 2004. Since then, we have had a consistent record of success: our students have had the highest IB Diploma score of any UK school for the past six years running.

Our students' average Diploma score over the past eight years is 41 and we have consistently been the only school in the UK to have an average Diploma score in excess of 40 points (representing the very top range of marks, typically reserved for Oxbridge admission).

Each year, over 50% of IB Higher Level examinations are passed at the top grade (Grade 7, equivalent to A level grade A*). Furthermore, 15% of our candidates over the past five years have achieved the "perfect diploma" score of 45 points - a remarkable feat, achieved by fewer than 90 candidates (out of nearly 45,000) in the entire world each year.

We have created a dedicated NLCS IB website  which contains a wealth of information for students.

University Success

IB graduates from North London Collegiate School have gone on to great success at university - studying a range of subjects including Medicine, Law, Mathematics, Dentistry, Modern Languages, Neuroscience, History, PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics), Engineering, English, Chemistry, Economics and Physics

Our IB students have received offers from a range of impressive institutions including Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale, Georgetown, Stanford and Princeton, as well as other leading universities such as Bristol, Edinburgh and the London colleges and medical schools

The IB Diploma Programme

The IB Diploma programme was conceived in Oxford in the 1960s and now involves students in over 100 countries. Since its founding, the IB Diploma has become a symbol of academic integrity and intellectual promise. The IB is exceptionally highly regarded as a qualification that offers a comprehensive and balanced curriculum and rigorous assessment, emphasising responsible citizenship and enabling IB students to become compassionate thinkers and lifelong learners.

The IB philosophy puts emphasis on the strong understanding of a broad range of subjects, on the value of higher-level skills of research and critical reflection, and on the importance of individual commitment to creativity, extra-curricular activities and service to others. These elements are at the heart of the vision of education at North London Collegiate School, where they have always been regarded as key features of a stimulating and ambitious broad-based education. The promotion of internationalism and understanding between cultures, which lies at the heart of the IB philosophy, is particularly well-suited to the existing ethos at North London Collegiate School.

The combination of breadth, scholarship and academic rigour offered by the IB programme ensures that students at North London Collegiate School are able enjoy an exciting and intellectually stimulating experience of the sixth form, providing them with an excellent preparation for life at university and in the wider world beyond.

IB Learner Profile

The aim of all IB programmes is to develop internationally minded people who, recognizing their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world.

IB learners strive to be:

Inquirers They develop their natural curiosity. They acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning. They actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.

Knowledgeable They explore concepts, ideas and issues that have local and global significance. In so doing, they acquire in-depth knowledge and develop understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines.

Thinkers They exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make reasoned, ethical decisions.

Communicators They understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication. They work effectively and willingly in collaboration with others.

Principled They act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities. They take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences that accompany them.

Open-minded They understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities. They are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience.

Caring They show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment.

Risk-takers They approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies. They are brave and articulate in defending their beliefs.

Balanced They understand the importance of intellectual, physical and emotional balance to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others.

Reflective They give thoughtful consideration to their own learning and experience. They are able to assess and understand their strengths and limitations in order to support their learning and personal development.

See here for the IB Learner Profile video

IB in the news

Tap here for SUB-MENU content