Menu
Close
Computer Science

The Computing Department delivers the Computing curriculum and also supports the entire North London Collegiate network of computers. All stations on the network have access to the internet and a wide range of programmes and multimedia resources. There are five well-equipped, general-purpose computer suites, three specialist suites (including two digital language labs) and a sixth form study suite. All classrooms have their own networked station and many have an interactive whiteboard for use in lessons. Students have open access to the suites throughout the day and are able to access their user areas and mail accounts from home.

All students in the Middle School (Yrs 7-9) have lessons in Computing taught by specialist staff. In Year 7 pupils cover a variety of topics including computer systems, application types, programming, operating systems, spreadsheets, computer graphics and databases. In Year 8 the theme is the internet and web design and the programming languages taught are HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Year 9 students study the twin topics of computer modelling and programming.

Computing is also offered as a GCSE option following the AQA Computer Science course. Assessment is based upon a written paper and two substantial controlled assessments. For those students who choose not to continue with Computing, we offer the European Computer Driving License (ECDL), an internationally recognised skills-based qualification. Sixth Form students can continue to develop their computing skills, either as part of the computing Senior Society or during the Wednesday afternoon option scheme which is currently a code club.

Other extra-curricular activities organised by the Department currently include a digital photography club, touch-typing (students can study for the British Computer Society’s E-Type qualification), video-editing and an IT club run by the Junior School staff.

Tap here for SUB-MENU content