Menu
Close
Sixth Form

The Sixth Form at North London is one of the largest of any independent girls school. It is a fun, vibrant and diversified community in which everyone is involved.

Every Sixth Form student takes responsibility for running a range of societies and activities, including many sporting and musical events. They are led by the Senior Committee (the "Big Six"), which comprises six students who are elected by staff and pupil votes and by interview. The Big Six liaise between the student body and senior staff and organise the Canons Follies variety show and many other events.

There is a strong tradition in taking active part in service to the community and fund-raising for charity. For example, teachers and Yr 12 pupils have the opportunity each summer to visit and teach in the Flying Angels School in Lusaka, Zambia. Please see the Extra Curricular Activities section on the website for more details of what is on offer.

Academically, there is a choice between the A level programme (where some departments offer the pre-U specification) and the IB Diploma, and a huge range of lectures and subject-specific societies to attend. Academic enrichment courses are run in Yrs 12 and 13 to help with preparation for university study in students' chosen subjects. All students take part in inter-school research projects and presentations with boys’ schools, such as Whitgift School and Eton College.

The pastoral care of students is of paramount importance and each pupil works closely with her tutor as well as the Director of Sixth Form and the Director of University Admissions and their deputies. A great deal of preparation and support for university entry and careers is provided, including a careers fair, UCAS events, and individual interview experience.

Tutorial groups are a mixture of Yr 12 and Yr 13 girls, integrating the year groups. Sixth form teaching in small groups is largely based in the picturesque Old House, and two lively and comfortable Sixth form common rooms with computer and catering facilities are also located here.

Sixth formers also have exclusive use of The Athenian Cafe in the Performing Arts Centre where they can relax, look out on the wonderful view of the lily pond and enjoy drinks, paninis, homemade soup and chocolate.

Highlights of Sixth Form life include Founder's Day which celebrates the life of Frances Mary Buss who founded North London Collegiate in her family home in 1850.

The farewell occasion for Yr 13 is Valedictory Day, to which families are invited. There is a special service in the Hall and a drinks party on the terrace.

We welcome about twenty new sixth formers every year into Yr 12 from a variety of other schools, bringing new perspectives and a particular vibrancy into the senior year group. Each new girl is allocated a tutor group "buddy" and a subject "buddy" to give her as much support as possible, and is invited into school on several occasions before she officially joins Yr 12.

For further information about the Sixth Form please contact Ms Debbie Picton, Head of Sixth Form on dpicton@nlcs.org.uk.

For information on admissions to the Sixth Form, please contact Miss Linda Chambers, Sixth Form Registrar on lmchambers@nlcs.org.uk.

Tap here for SUB-MENU content