Menu
Close
Annual Fund 2016-2017 Shopping List

Musical Instruments

With an increasing number of students wishing to play the piano, we would like to purchase new upright pianos for the Music Department. Pianos are not cheap, but they do last a long time and will be used by generations of North Londoners. The costs to purchase the pianos and necessary accoutrements are:

• Upright Piano: £3,000 to £,6,000 each (2 required)
  • Piano Stool: £600 each (3 required)

Creative expression

Integral to a good education is involvement in the creative arts, which develops the student’s creative expression, a skill which will guide her throughout her life in whatever career or pathway she may choose. All pupils at every year-level are able to participate in drama, either onstage or backstage. At the heart of drama and music at North London is the Performing Arts Centre, a 350-seat theatre with a flexible orchestra pit, sprung floor and excellent acoustics. To further enhance the wonderful concerts, plays and musicals the students perform we would like to provide:

• Theatre-In-A-Box: £350
  • LED Wash Lights: £3,500 each (6 required)
  • Projector: £10,000

Sport and Games

With its extensive playing fields and array of sports facilities sporting life flourishes at North London. At every level of ability, students can participate in a wide range of sports, including netball, lacrosse, swimming, cross country, badminton, gymnastics, dance, athletics and tennis. With many ‘away’ fixtures in the busy sporting calendar our PE Department would like to share the girls’ experiences with you and therefore require new video and photographic equipment.

• Camera: £1,200

Interactive Geography

An augmented reality interactive sandbox is a fun and engaging way to learn how the world works. The sandbox combines an actual sandbox with a 3D camera, a digital projector and a computer to display a topographic map that adjusts as sand is moved around inside the box. When users hold their hands over the sandbox, it becomes a cloud and virtual water flows from it into the sandbox. Students can simulate topography by creating physical features in the sand which is then augmented in real time by an elevation colour map, topographic contour lines, and simulated water. The system will enhance the teaching of basic geographic, geologic, and hydrologic concepts like reading and understanding topographic maps, contour lines, watersheds, catchment areas and levees. The cost of purchasing an interactive sandbox for the Geography Department is:

• AR Sandbox: £1,000

Musical creativity

All styles of music thrive at North London Collegiate School, from classical to rock and from chamber ensembles to large orchestras; and girls are encouraged to participate in as many musical activities as possible. All levels are accommodated in the various orchestras, numerous choirs and jazz and rock bands and many girls have instrumental lessons with our talented peripatetic teachers. To further broaden the range of musical opportunities we would like to provide tuition for an extra Chamber Music Ensemble and various masterclass sessions. The costs for these projects are:

• Singing, Strings, Woodwind, Brass or Piano Masterclass: Half-Day, £200; Full-Day, £500
  • Chamber Music Tuition Masterclass: Half-Day, £200; Full-Day, £500
  • Extra Chamber Music Ensemble to be coached for one year: £500 (20 rehearsals)

Making your gift as flexible as possible

You may choose to allocate your gift to ‘wherever the School needs it most’. This will give the Headmistress and Governors maximum flexibility to apply funds to where they feel the need is greatest. Also, in the event that all the other projects in this brochure become fully funded, excess funds will be reallocated to where they are most needed.

If you would like to support our Annual Fund you can now donate online via our Virgin Money Giving page. Please click on the link below to be redirected to the website. Both one-off gifts and regular donations can be made via this route and Gift Aid can also be reclaimed on any donations made online by UK tax payers.

Make a donation using Virgin Money Giving

Tap here for SUB-MENU content