Menu
Close
Annual Fund 2016-2017 Shopping List

Musical Instruments

Due to an increase of students wishing to play the piano we would like to purchase three extra upright pianos for the Music Department. Pianos are not cheap, unfortunately, but do last a long time and will be used by generations of North Londoners. The costs to purchase the pianos and necessary accoutrements are:

• Upright Piano: £3,000 to £,6,000 each (3 required)
  • Piano Stool: £600 each (3 required)

Creative expression

Integral to a good education is involvement in the creative arts, which develops the student’s creative expression, a skill which will guide her throughout her life in whatever career or pathway she may choose. All pupils at every year-level are able to participate in drama, either onstage or backstage. At the heart of drama and music at North London is the Performing Arts Centre, a 350-seat theatre with a flexible orchestra pit, sprung floor and excellent acoustics. To further enhance the wonderful concerts, plays and musicals the students perform we would like to provide:

• Theatre-In-A-Box: £350
  • LED Wash Lights: £3,500 each (6 required)
  • Projector: £10,000

Tablet teaching

Tablets and the iPad are transforming the way we teach and learn. Powerful creative tools, interactive textbooks on every subject and a universe of apps and content make for endless learning possibilities. The costs of providing iPads for the Geography, Maths, Art and Economics Departments and a Microsoft Surface Pro for the Junior School are:

• Apple iPad: £400 each (36 required)
  • Microsoft Surface Pro: £960

LEGO

LEGO is used within our Junior School to engage students in Computer Science, Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths and energise learning through real-life problem solving. The LEGO Mindstorms series of kits contain software and hardware to create customisable, programmable robots. They include an intelligent brick computer that controls the system, a set of modular sensors and motors, and LEGO parts from the Technic line to create the mechanical systems. The cost of this project is:

• LEGO Mindstorms: £360 each (8 required)

Sport and Games

With its extensive playing fields and array of sports facilities sporting life flourishes at North London. At every level of ability, students can participate in a wide range of sports, including netball, lacrosse, swimming, cross country, badminton, gymnastics, dance, athletics and tennis. With many ‘away’ fixtures in the busy sporting calendar our PE Department would like to share the girls’ experiences with you and therefore require new video and photographic equipment. We would also like to provide a branded gazebo for the girls to shelter and store their equipment under during inclement weather. The costs of this project are:

• Camera: £1,200
  • Gazebo: £479

Interactive Geography

An augmented reality interactive sandbox is a fun and engaging way to learn how the world works. The sandbox combines an actual sandbox with a 3D camera, a digital projector and a computer to display a topographic map that adjusts as sand is moved around inside the box. When users hold their hands over the sandbox, it becomes a cloud and virtual water flows from it into the sandbox. Students can simulate topography by creating physical features in the sand which is then augmented in real time by an elevation colour map, topographic contour lines, and simulated water. The system will enhance the teaching of basic geographic, geologic, and hydrologic concepts like reading and understanding topographic maps, contour lines, watersheds, catchment areas and levees. The cost of purchasing an interactive sandbox for the Geography Department is:

• AR Sandbox: £1,000

Musical creativity

All styles of music thrive at North London Collegiate School, from classical to rock and from chamber ensembles to large orchestras; and girls are encouraged to participate in as many musical activities as possible. All levels are accommodated in the various orchestras, numerous choirs and jazz and rock bands and many girls have instrumental lessons with our talented peripatetic teachers. To further broaden the range of musical opportunities we would like to provide tuition for an extra Chamber Music Ensemble and various masterclass sessions. The costs for these projects are:

• Singing, Strings, Woodwind, Brass or Piano Masterclass: Half-Day, £200; Full-Day, £500
  • Chamber Music Tuition Masterclass: Half-Day, £200; Full-Day, £500
  • Extra Chamber Music Ensemble to be coached for one year: £500 (20 rehearsals)

Making your gift as flexible as possible

You may choose to allocate your gift to ‘wherever the School needs it most’. This will give the Headmistress and Governors maximum flexibility to apply funds to where they feel the need is greatest. Also, in the event that all the other projects in this brochure become fully funded, excess funds will be reallocated to where they are most needed.

If you would like to support our Annual Fund you can now donate online via our Virgin Money Giving page. Please click on the link below to be redirected to the website. Both one-off gifts and regular donations can be made via this route and Gift Aid can also be reclaimed on any donations made online by UK tax payers.

Make a donation using Virgin Money Giving

Tap here for SUB-MENU content