Menu
Close
Our Ethos

At North London Collegiate School we believe that happy students are successful students and all our teachers have specific pastoral responsibilities to make sure that every girl flourishes socially and academically. We celebrate both academic and non- academic achievement and our students emerge as well-rounded, happy and balanced individuals. 

We aim to develop confidence and aspiration in a warm and safe environment, and we encourage pupils to be resilient and bounce back when faced with challenges or disappointments.  We are proud of the fact that “Academic and pastoral staff work closely together to ensure no girl is without support during her time at the School” was recognised at a recent visit by the Independent Schools Inspectorate.

Our ethos is to instil a love of learning. We want to uncover each student’s unique talents and nurture the whole individual, and our extensive facilities inspire our students to realise their potential in whichever field they choose. That is why the Good Schools Guide Review concluded “we can’t recall visiting another all-girls school and finding quite this kind of relaxed self-confidence”.

NLCS celebrates the dynamic, creative spirit of the girls. We provide the springboard for our pupils to find their place in a world which will require not only technical skills but also the creative ability and communication skills to thrive. This is why we continue to invest in and enhance our music and arts provision and offer a wealth of sporting opportunities. 

At North London, every girl matters, and we encourage them to take the initiative themselves. With support from teachers they become independent thinkers, putting their ideas into practise and taking responsibility and as a result, all of our societies are run by the girls themselves- everyone can be a leader. 

As is enshrined in our annual Founder’s Day service: much is required from those to whom much is given and today it is just as important that our students develop a sense of social responsibility. We teach them how to make a practical difference to the world around them.  Pupils participate actively in community service, fundraise for both local and overseas charities, and develop a strong sense of community and an appreciation of the world around them. 

NLCS has a global perspective that is unique amongst London day schools. In the Sixth Form, students can study the International Baccalaureate Diploma - a highly regarded qualification that is particularly prized by Ivy League, Russell Group and European universities. The opening of a sister school in South Korea helps to create an important understanding of the ever-growing economies of the Far East. We are also opening a second school in Dubai and these links will benefit our pupils through exchange opportunities and internship.

We have a broad demographic mix of students, and we are chosen by families from many different international backgrounds. Our extensive coach network enables girls to travel to us from a wide area of London, including Hampstead, St John’s Wood, Kensington, Northwood and St Albans. Each year we adapt our coach routes to respond to the needs of our families. The best way to get to know the school is to come for a visit, experience the buzz and energy of the corridors, enjoy the stunning grounds and the Performing Arts Centre and, of course, meet the girls who make it such an exciting place to work and learn. You’ll be sure of a warm reception whether you are a prospective parent or pupil, or a former student. 

Bernice McCabe, Headmistress

Tap here for SUB-MENU content